Friday 12 January 2007

Regent Street Photograph

Regent Street Photograph
Edwardian Regent StreetGood photographs of Victorian London are hard to come by, and even when I find 'Views of London'-type books, originally aimed at tourists, I tend to snap them up for www.victorianlondon.org. A small handful from The Premier Photographic View Album of London, 1907 are now on the site (see the Bibliography) but I most like the detail above from the Regent Street photograph. In truth, it's probably Edwardian. In any case, notice the car amongst all the horse traffic (see Transport for more on cars - they first appeared in 1896 or thereabouts), the policeman on the right (directing pedestrians?) and the little boy sitting on the back step (what is the proper word for this?) of the landau as it rattles along!

4 comments:

  1. I believe the correct name for the 'step' where the young boy is sitting on the landau is 'grooms seat'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - sounds plausible. When I'm feeling less lazy, I may check with this very helpful museum http://www.tour-maidstone.com/default.aspx?page=317

    ReplyDelete
  3. and the little boy is called a "tiger"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the fanciful idea that he was a passer-by just hitching a ride - partly inspired by his posture. And I had a feeling her might be wearing a cap, which I wouldn't associate with a servant. However, the photo is so blurred, it's impossible to tell - you may well be right.

    ReplyDelete