Thursday 30 September 2010

An Offer ...

It's a long-standing niggle of mine that people who contact me via www.victorianlondon.org, with enquiries about family history, rarely seem to know about the local archives / local history libraries / small museums of London's boroughs. I have, therefore, an offer ...

If you are a librarian/archivist/similar in the London boroughs, and would like to promote your holdings on www.victorianlondon.org (gratis, naturally; no advertising surrounding) then get in touch. Something like 'picture of the week', showing a rare photograph of Victorian London, with some written context, could be featured widely on the site (and this blog, I suppose) and my guess is that it would bring you to a far greater web audience than at present.

My site is the no.1 on all search engines for 'victorian london'  - I'd love to say this brings me great wealth and prosperity (it doesn't) but I have the lingering suspicion that said visibility could be put to better use, for all those interested in London history.

Possibly my worry that local libraries are missed by the online audience is quite wrong. Possibily this won't appeal; and there are copyright issues with images (I'm a reformed librarian myself) and mine is a private site, rather than something in the public sector.

But if it does - please get in touch...

No comments:

Post a Comment