Wednesday 15 June 2011

Food, Glorious Food

Bon viveur George Sala is definitely at his best when discussing food. Here's another entry from Twice Round the Clock (1859):

See the pyramids of dishes arrive; the steaming succession of red-hot chops, with their brown, frizzling caudal appendages sobbing hot tears of passionate fat. See the serene kidneys unsubdued, though grilled, smiling though cooked, weltering proudly in their noble gravy, like warriors who have fallen upon the field of honour. See the hot yellow lava of the Welsh rabbit stream over and engulf the timid toast. Sniff the fragrant vapour of the corpulent sausage. Mark how the russet leathern-coated baked potato at first defies the knife, then gracefully cedes, and through a lengthened gash yields its farinaceous effervescence to the influence of butter and catsup. The only refreshments present open to even a suspicion of effeminacy are the poached eggs, glistening like suns in a firmament of willow-pattern plate; and those too, I am willing to believe, are only taken by country-gentlemen hard pressed by hunger, just to "stay their stomachs," while the more important chops and kidneys are being prepared.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm . . . I think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminded me how much attractive food is to me, sometimes I feel that is hypnotising me. Damn, I am hungry again, and I just ate.

    man and van in London

    ReplyDelete